mobirise.com



MAKING YOUR ENVIRONMENT SAFER






Many people (including me) have chemical sensitivities/allergies to things in our environment. I have posted some information here that I have found helpful.

Please let me know if this is helpful for you and if you would like to see more.


Laundry suggestions:

Use perfume- and dye-free laundry detergent.
I use white vinegar only... clothes get clean and fragrance free!

Arm & Hammer's “Perfume and Dye FREE” product is good; other explicitly perfume-free detergents seem to work OK too.

If the package doesn't say it's free of fragrance, laundry detergent is scented!


AVOID dryer sheets or fabric softeners.

Instead of dryer sheets, a washcloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide, tossed into the dryer, helps reduce static cling.

To remove scent from contaminated laundry, try soaking in white vinegar, or in dissolved baking soda. Borax helps too.

But some especially absorbent fabrics, such as knits, can be very hard (or impossible) to detoxify.


Body-care suggestions:

AVOID all products with fragrance: scented soaps, shampoos and hair conditioners, lotions (including suntan lotion and some medicated lotions), shaving soap/foam, colognes, perfume, aftershave, deodorant, make-up. . .

Products with so-called “natural” fragrance are usually no better than other scented products.

Worse: products labelled “unscented” sometimes contain something called a masking fragrance, which is just as likely to be toxic as any other kind of fragrance! 

All of these things are available in fragrance-free forms, but you may have to search; and do read the fine print.

Again, if the package doesn't say it's free of fragrance, it probably isn't.


Some helpful products:

Crystal deodorant, fragrance-free roll-ons.

To make soaps and lotions anti-bacterial, if you wish, try adding a few drops of grapefruit-seed extract (GSE). 


Car-care suggestions:

AVOID all air “fresheners”. Get rid of nasty smells by cleaning with vinegar, or brushing with baking soda.


Cleaning tips:

White vinegar is a great all-around cleaner
Combined half white vinegar with half hydrogen peroxide makes a good anti-bacterial cleaner (good for toilet bowls).

Look for dish soap that's explicitly labeled as fragrance-free. Seventh Generation makes some.

American Formulating and Manufacturing (AFM) makes fragrance-free detergent, and low-toxicity paints and glues.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

For many of us with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, here is a perspective to share with others:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

SO WHAT'S WRONG WITH TRYING TO SMELL NICE?

Nothing in itself. But the chemicals that are used to propagate fragrance can be quite toxic to some people. This isn't a matter of taste or unpleasantness; people who suffer from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) become physically sick, often to the point of being incapacitated, when exposed to artificial fragrances. A minimal amount of exposure is enough to hurt. For instance, a trace of scented laundry detergent in a room can force an MCS sufferer in the room to flee—or get very sick.

WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?

1: Avoid using scented products. Unfortunately this can be very difficult, because in many cases manufacturers assume that fragrance is a normal component of their product. If a laundry detergent doesn't say something like “fragrance free”, for example, chances are it's scented (and harmful to MCS sufferers). Household cleaners are another case where fragrance is considered “normal”. But you can actually save money and avoid fragrance too by cleaning with things like vinegar and baking soda!

2: Notice when your friends or family are wearing fragrance in public, and tell them why this is a problem. This is something MCS sufferers cannot do for themselves; if they notice someone wearing scent, their first priority has to be getting away from that person!

3: If you know any chemically-sensitive people—try to be as non-toxic as possible when you visit with them, and if they visit you, try to make your location as safe as possible for them. 


WHY SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT MCS SUFFERERS?

First of all—out of politeness. MCS is a disability like any other, and simple accommodations to MCS sufferers are possible. Just as you would not trip a blind person, you can avoid hurting MCS sufferers by not using scented products. The worst are perfumes and air “fresheners”, but scented lotions, scented laundry detergents, scented soaps, scented cleaning products, and the like can all hurt people with MCS.

Second—you could find yourself in their shoes! People are not born with MCS; they acquire it. Typically, the disability is due to massive exposures to toxic chemicals, which overload the body's ability to eliminate those toxins. For instance, people have developed MCS from living near oil refineries which found it cheaper to operate by polluting; from working with fiberglass resin; from working in paint factories; from exposure to oil-well fires. But sometimes it just isn't clear what caused the problem... except that these days, we all live in a chemical soup. The things that hurt MCS sufferers may actually be bad for everyone; by being considerate to MCS sufferers, you lighten your own toxic load, and may reduce your own chances of developing health problems.


ARE SCENTED PRODUCTS THE ONLY PROBLEM PRODUCTS?

Not at all; they're just the easiest for individuals to stop using. Many other things make MCS sufferers sick: each case is a bit different, but common triggers include new plastics (which usually outgas for some time after manufacture; think of “new car smell”), synthetic carpeting, fresh paint, car or diesel exhaust…

Doesn't the government make sure all these products are safe?

No; most of the problem substances are completely unregulated. Fragrance manufacturers are even allowed to keep their ingredients secret, so we can't even find out what's poisoning us without hiring an analytical chemist.


WHAT KIND OF REACTION DO MCS PEOPLE GET? IS IT AN ALLERGY?

Some MCS sufferers do use the term allergy as a shorthand, because people usually understand allergies. Some even joke that they are “allergic to the 20th century”, since most of the problem substances were invented in the last few decades. (We can only hope the 21st century will be less of a problem.) 

But in some significant ways, MCS is the exact opposite of an allergy.
Allergies are over-reactions by the body, activating defensive mechanisms against (often natural) things in the environment that may not be intrinsically harmful. 
MCS seems to be an inability of some people's bodies to defend adequately against (usually artificial) things in the environment that really are toxic.

Sadly, another difference is that while many drugs are available to alleviate the symptoms of allergy sufferers, the only remedy that works for MCS sufferers is to avoid exposure.

An MCS reaction can include: headache (usually quite severe), severe disorientation, irritability and mood swings, nausea, overwhelming fatigue, and loss of muscle control. Not everyone gets all these symptoms, and people don't always get the same mix of symptoms. It may depend on the particular trigger, and on how intense the concentration of toxins is—but also on how severe a case of MCS the individual has.

The disorientation makes it particularly frustrating for MCS sufferers to explain what's going on. When you can't think straight is a very bad time to try to tell someone that their laundry detergent is making you sick!

MCS sufferers wind up being unable to use most public facilities: restaurants, museums, theaters, shops, and even city streets are filled with fragrance that is toxic to them. People with the most severe cases of MCS wind up being prisoners inside an environment they work hard to keep safe. Others are luckier, and can at least go outdoors, or visit friends who make an effort to keep their places safe. 

ADDRESS
PO Box 742
Soulsbyville, CA 95372

LINKS


Thanks for filling out form!